Monday, April 23, 2007

Good reports......

Once again I feel the need to apologize for the time in between posts. I am setting myself a goal of posting every other day from now on. The posts will probably be a bit shorter, but I know there are a few people out there who really rely on this, so I will do better.

We recently had an "all team" meeting with Sherry's therapists. The consensus was that she is still making very good progress and that there is no reason to think that it will stop at this time. Her therapists want her to start getting into "community rehab" programs which will hopefully lead to vocational rehabilitation in the future. Sherry will probably get involved in physical "therapy" classes at LCC soon and may begin a speech therapy program at the U of O as soon as we can arrange it. We also want to get the Oregon Commission for the Blind involved for some "transitional" help with getting around more independently. The idea is for Sherry to learn skills that blind people use to navigate the world to use now, hoping she won't need them in the future. I'm afraid we may run into some resistance from Sherry on this. They will probably want her to learn to use a cane, and in the past she has been opposed to the idea. Considering where Sherry has come from, she actually gets around very well. We no longer worry about her moving about the house. She can get in and out of the shower by herself and the tub with assistance. She can navigate in familiar places such as church and even the courthouse with little or no help. But walking outside is still risky. She does not always realize changes in terrain such as curbs or sidewalks. Hopefully the chance to become even more independent sooner will inspire her to give it a chance.

Sherry also had a progress appointment with her opthomologist and the news there was good also. They are also very pleased with her progress. Her visual acuity is much better (better than mine in fact) Her eyes are "working together" much, much better after all these weeks of therapy. She will probably continue vision therapy as a home program with scheduled progress check ups with Dr. Foley's office.

There is more to report and I promise to post again by Wednesday evening.

enough for now,

I love my wife...tomorrow we move forward,

Dean

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great job Sherry..keep up the good work we are very proud of you and love you. Mathew is going on an overnight trip with his school tomorrow. They are going to the Portland Zoo. He is very excited and will have much to share with you Friday. Have a good week.

Hello Dean, Chelsea, and Little Miss Brit.

Hello to Kathleen as well...I gotta come visit those horses soon!!

Jody & family