Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Catching Up

Well...I know it has been forever since my last post, probably the longest gap yet. We have just about survived the summer. Brittney will start school next week. Chelsea continues to really struggle. She is still not at home and does not seem any closer to coming home. I am going to start another blog soon, where I will talk a bit more about this situation and other things that are on MY mind. However, I want this blog to remain about Sherry.

The summer has had it's ups and downs...that's for sure. Sherry has shown some progress, adding some things to "the list" of things she can do independently. One great example is getting the mail. Sherry can now decide she wants to get the mail, find the key, walk out the door, down the porch stairs, cross the street, somehow get the key into the keyhole, get the mail, close and re lock the box and walk back home again. She can get the mail herself. We don't even think twice about it anymore. As always...it may not sound like much, but those of you who know what she has been through, know that this is a big deal. She is close to mastering a few other tasks as well. soon, I think she will be able to take a shower without help. She is also close to being able to do a load of laundry from start to finish. She just needs a little help starting the washing machine. Gail is working with her on that, and I think in time, she will get it.

Sherry has had some trouble controlling her emotions over the course of the summer. She has had some of her medications re-evaluated and changed. She just remembers the way she used to be and really gets down on herself when she can't make certain things happen. It is sad to see when it happens, because she has come so far and is still showing progress. But I think this gets in her way and is possibly slowing her progress.

Sherry has been seeing a speech therapist at Sacred Heart for part of the summer. Hopefully we will take the information gained from that and use it to start of at the U of O this next month.

There is more to get you all caught up on, but this is enough for tonight. I promise not to be so much of a stranger. More soon.

I love my wife and girls....tomorrow we move forward

Dean

No comments: