Wednesday, July 26, 2006

A forward moving girl....

I have recently become a bit of a Dixie Chicks fan. The title song of their latest CD always makes me think of our current situation. There is a line that goes ..."it's been two long years now, since the top of the world came crashing down." Well, it's been one long year for us...feels like more than two. Today is the one year anniversary of Sherry being hospitilized. I was afraid it would really affect Sherry and didn't really think much about myself being affected. Right before I left for work this morning she gave me a big hug and didn't want to let go. I could tell she was a little emotional and I said "you know what today is don't you ?" She looked up at me and replied "it's been a year hasn't it?" I just nodded my head as I was beginning to choke up and didn't want her to know it. "Don't worry honey, I'm moving forward...I'm a forward moving girl." As I left she had a smile on her face and I had very moist eyes. She is such an amazing person.

Sherry had a great day at therapy (with little Brittney's help.) and was in a great mood when I returned home in the evening. I however, was pretty much a wreck all day thinking about the year anniversary, looming insurance issues, the passing of a former co-worker and just the general stuff happening in the world. My salvation of course was that I get to work with children. It's hard to stay sad when you look at their faces and hear some of the things that come out of their mouths. One of our kiddos (preschool mind you) heard the word "kissing" today and said "I'm gonna grow up and get me a girl." See what I mean...it made Lynne and I both crack up.

Well, not much to add. I know not many people read this, but I always feel better after tapping this stuff out (as corny and over dramatic as I know it must sound at times) and I didn't want to let this day pass without comment. The Dixie Chicks song mentioned at the top goes like this:

"It's been two long years now
since the top of the world came crashing down
but I'm gettin it back on the road again
taking the long way around, taking the long way around"

The Dixie Chicks were of course writing about the ordeal they went through for making anti George Bush comments in England, but the words kind of frame our situation. We may be taking the long way, but we are heading in the right direction and will take the road as far as it will lead us. We are just thankful to be together.

enough for now,

I love my wife......tomorrow we move forward (she's a forward moving girl you know)

Dean

No comments: