Sunday, March 04, 2007

Pool anyone?

What a wonderful weekend it was. On Saturday Sherry worked around the house, cleaning and organizing all day long. I no longer worry when I come into the living room and she is nowhere to be found. She is perfectly capable of going anywhere in the house and poking around any cupboard or closet. She rarely drops anything and needs only occasional help figuring things out. It is a real joy to watch her. She wants so much to be busy and sometimes gets impatient with me if I want to "chill out" at times on the weekend.

There was a special moment on Sunday that put a smile on my face. Usually when we get to church on Sunday morning I help Sherry get out of the car and we walk hand in hand to the front door of the building. Then I lead her to our usual seats in the front row. This Sunday she got out of the car herself and walked to the door unassisted. I got distracted when we got inside and before I knew it she had taken off toward our seats. I just stood back and watched her as she made her way to the front without me, stopping to get hugs and shake hands and socialize. She made it to our seats and sat down without any help at all. I know it doesn't seem like much, but again, it is another little thing to add to the list of things that she can do independently.

After church two of Sherry's old friends came to the house and picked us up and we went to the tavern that Sherry managed when we first met about ten years ago. The girls were on a mission, they were going to take Sherry to play pool for the first time since she became ill in 2005. I was just along for the ride (oh yeah, and a beer or two.) With Sherry's eye issues, playing pool was challenging, as we thought it would be. She did her best and Pat and Max were very patient with her. Sherry had a great time and it was a good first attempt at playing pool again. Like everything else, I would expect Sherry to do even better next time.

It was great weekend.

enough for now

I love my wife..... tomorrow we move forward

Dean

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great step forward. Glad to hear she's able to do one of her favorate pastime's. Playing pool is something she has definately enjoyed...

Love YA,

Eric & Family