Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Watch out for emails!

In Speech therapy Sherry has begun to explore some interesting possibilities with her email program. As you may remember, Sherry uses a program, designed at the U of O especially for people with brain injuries. It is meant to be very easy to use as well as safe. Only people that Sherry has on her buddy list can send and receive emails, so there is no spam to worry about. She has photos of the people on her list, so all she has to do is click on the photo (although she can read the names as well) to begin an email to that person. At this time, she has trouble sending anything longer that a word or two, like hello, hi etc. This is due, I think, to her difficulty with spelling. She is able, on many days anyway, to hunt and peck the keyboard pretty well if someone helps her to spell the words. This is actually a vast improvement from before when she would tend to "overshoot" everything to the left. If she tried to touch a certain key, she would always hit a key or two to the left. Now, her finger goes right to the correct key most of the time. It takes her time to locate the correct letter, but even that is getting better. We are going to start a home spelling program while she is on break from speech therapy this summer.

James has come up with an idea to help Sherry with writing emails. I am not sure I totally understand it yet. I think the idea is to use a program called FlashPaper to pre generate sentences for Sherry to insert in her emails. For example, if I have the right idea anyway, Sherry will be able to look at a list of sentences, hit a certain key and have a particular sentence inserted into her email. I don't quite see how Flashpaper is going to work, together, with CogLink (her email program) but I look forward to finding out from James exactly what he has in mind. Anyway, those of you on her list, watch out for the emails!

I hope you enjoy the short video below. I took it with my iPhone, which makes it very easy to upload to the blog. I plan on using video a lot in the future.

enough for now...

i love my wife and kids...tomorrow we move forward.

Dean

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom,

Thanks for the updates. The roller coaster continues. Glad progress is still being made.Got to be optimistic, and we'll all be okay...

Day by day!
Love Ya,

Eric, Kelly,Cody,Ethan

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone!

This is Tim from the U of O. I really enjoyed getting to work with Sherry this Spring and am excited to see that she is still writing emails. Just a heads up -- I got an email from the Flashpaste guy and he said he sent me the registration letter for the free Professional Version of Flashpaste. I didn't see it, so I emailed him back and am now waiting for a response. Hopefully I will hear from him soon and forward the info on to you!

The professional version will include "folders" so she can organize her pre-written sentences (called strings) into folders that can be categorized however she wants. She could do email part (like greetings, questions, etc...) or she could have a separate folder for each contact! Hope to send it to you soon, and keep up the great emails!

Tim