Wednesday, July 19, 2006

A Real Trooper

Sherry had her MRI scan of her brain today and was a real trooper. She has had at least three previous scans, but was pretty much unconscience for all of them. This time she was wide awake and more than a little apprehensive. However, she made it through with flying colors....piece of cake as she says. Jody told me that Sherry did a great job of answering the questions put to her by the nurse before the scan. She seems to be thinking so much more clearly these days. She still has a lot of gaps of course but we all still see many positive changes, and that is all we can ask of her. Now we have to wait several days to see if they tell us anything new or shed any light as to what the occasional "episodes" are all about.

Sherry's stepmother Dona paid a visit last night. The last time she had seen Sherry was shortly after the last episode. I think she was relieved to see Sherry back to where she was before. It was a great visit as always with many laughs and even an occasional tear. Dona has been such a big part of Sherry's getting better (not to mention helping me get through the tough days.) Sherry and I both appreciate her so much.

Sherry asked me to be sure to thank Jody again tonight. So....thank you Jody :) She does such a great job. I think her and Sherry have become so much closer than they ever would have thought possible. One thing is for sure, our family would be in a world of hurt without her. Tomorrow she is taking part of the day off so she can be with her cousin who is having a baby. Sean will take over the duties of helping his mother for the day. He will get to go with her as she does therapy. I think he will be pretty impressed with his mom's hard work and attitude.

I added a few links to the text of the "Sherry's Journey" page on www.sherrysjourney.com. So, if you have not visited the site for a few days and have some time to kill, check it out. One of the links is to an information page about "TENS," the syndrome that sent Sherry to the Oregon Burn Center (there is also a link to their website as well.) TENS is closely associated with Steven's Johnson's syndrome which is what made me sick at the age of four and affected my eyes. The day they told me that it had happened to her was one of the very worst days and nights of the whole ordeal, because I already knew how bad and dangerous it could be. I remember thinking what a cruel sense of humor or irony or something God must have to let Sherry come down with the same rare syndrome that had so affected my life. I was pretty much angry with the world on that night. I have lightened up a bit on that, but still think about it from time to time.

Please take some time and leave your thoughts for Sherry by clicking on the "comment" link directly below this post. It really does help her and she looks forward to hearing from you all.

Enough for now,

I love my wife......tomorrow we move forward

Dean

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say thank you to Dean and Sherry for all the kind words. I appreciate it. We all work very hard and just want Sherry to get better. I am truly honored to be able to help Sherry with this journey. I never thought we would be as close as we are now. I am very happy and honored that she is my mom. I have a great family and god has blessed me so much. I have learned such valuable lessons in the past few years. Thanks to Sherry, I have been reminded to remember the important things in life and most of all how much I love my family. "Dont sweat the small stuff" is something I have learned lately. Life is challenging, but we are always made stronger by those life lessons. I know that we will always be close now and we have a special bond that means the world to me. I have to admit that I was a little scared at first when we talked about having me help Sherry. I think Sherry was a little scared too...but it really has turned out to be the best thing for both of us. She really is a trooper and I am so proud of her and Dean both for how they have handled things. Dean has done such an amazing job with Sherry, the girls, and of course household responsibilities. It is so wonderful to see the love that Dean and Sherry have for each other and how the look at each other. They are truly meant to be! May god bless them and may Sherry get everything she wishes for in life. She deserves it!!!

Love and hapiness to all