These last several days and really, past several weeks, have been good ones for Sherry. She really seems to be progressing at a faster pace and her attitude reflects it. Jody is very good about keeping a written journal about Sherry. I am going to share some of that with you all tonight. I will begin with today's entry and go backwards from there. My comments will be in itallics.
9/27
2-2:15 p.m.
We practiced with the thread and buttons using the patch and she did very well. Sherry had a good attitude and was very excited about working. She helped fold the towels. Her eyes are getting very good at tracking and I am hoping we will increase the challenge of the activities next week. Her confidence is good.
3:30-3:45 p.m.
Sherry was looking at a cookbook and reading some of the bold words even pages that didn't have pictures. She also helped me with the dishes. Thanks Sherry.
Sherry is now able to thread a large button with a shoe lace, something she would not have been able to do just a few short weeks ago. Jody told me that Sherry was very helpful and did a great job drying the dishes today. Getting back into the everyday household routines is so important to her. Perhaps the most exciting news of the day was the cookbook. She read the cookbook for well over two solid hours today. She had a huge smile on her face when I came home, she told us she could see and READ so much more than before. She proved it too, reading several words and even parts of sentences. Why is this happening? I think it is a combination of many things. I think her brain is just rewiring itself at a faster pace at this moment in time. I think the vision therapy and working with the prisms has had a huge effect. And of course all of her hard work with her speech, physical and occupational therapists. She has a great team behind her and she wants everything back so badly, we can't help but be hopeful.
9/26
4:15-4:45
Sherry is following objects better and able to see faster moving objects. I also think she can see to the side better. She also notices when she moves her head more (during the vision therapy work.) She knows this is working for her.
9/25
5-5:15 p.m. Brittney to help.
Sherry was in a better mood after her mom called. She was "running amuck" and cleaning near the phone. She is getting much better at following targets.
9/25
1-1:15 p.m.
She was in a good mood, had no problem doing the exercises. Did well with the puzzle. She also said that around the house the arrows we put up (I put post-it note colored arrows on all the light switches, door nobs, nobs to her dresser, fridge door handle etc so she might be able to see them better.) have made a big difference for her. When we use the prisms she got all four trys correct (up, down, left, right) She did not need any direction and had no problem finding my hands. Great job!
9/22
5-5:15 p.m.
Brittney helped Sherry with vision therapy. She did very well (both of them) She was able to see Brittney's tiny hand. She is getting much better at following targets. She feels for the puzzle holes, but going forward.
I hope that this gives you all some sense of how well Sherry is doing. I got a very good report from Kirsten, her speech therapist. She is doing very well during those sessions as well, sometimes surprising Kirsten. Kirsten also sees a huge difference since Sherry began using the prisms.
I remember when Sherry was in Eugene Rehab about this time last year. she didn't know what simple household items like coffee cups, hairbrush, tooth brush were and she could really only tell the difference between light and dark. How hard she has worked, how far she has come. We are not done yet, but watch out, she is charging forward.
enough for now,
I love my wife....tomorrow we move forward
Dean
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment