Monday, August 28, 2006

Where are the Lou Gehrigs?

Okay, I know it's a strange title for this blog. I am just dead tired and trying to stay up long enough to put a few thoughts down. As I write this, one of my favorite T.V. shows is on in the background. PBS has a great show called "History Detectives." If you have never seen it, I recommend it highly, for what it is worth. One segment of tonight's show centered around baseball great Lou Gehrig. Gehrig is of course known for his consecutive game record that stood for years and years, his integrity and his famous "I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth" speech of July 4, 1939. He made his famous statement that day probably knowing that he was dying of the horrible disease that now bears his name. I found myself fighting back some tears as I watched the story and the old footage of the speech (which I have of course seen a bizillion times.) It was not the first time today that I almost felt like crying.

Earlier in the day I went out to lunch to Papa's Pizza. Before I left work I grabbed a newspaper to read while I ate. It turned out to be part of the Sunday R-G. After reading about the latest news on the Ducks and the Op-Ed page I came across a story by Mark Baker. He was paying tribute to a former girlfriend who was murdered 10 years ago. I think it might be the most powerful piece of local journalism I have read in years. It is a long story, but I think it's worth the time to read. If you are interested follow this link (after you finish this of course :) Link

What do these two things have to do with Sherry and our current situation? For one thing,
perspective. My family has been though a lot in the last year or so. I have said before how easy it is to wallow in self pity, to think that our situation is the worst ever (yes, I have actually had that thought at times.) Well, my wife is alive and working hard to recover. If you read Mark Bakers story you will feel the pain of suddenly losing someone that you had loved and continued to be close to. They don't have the chance to recover...they are gone, and the pain does not go away.

So...where does that leave Lou Gehrig in all of this? What is Lou Gehrig really famous for? He is most famous for his work ethic, his humility and integrity. Yes, he did great things on the ball field, but I think his greatness transcended the game he played. He set an example for life in general. Work hard, be humble and honest and if the unimaginable happens approach it with those same qualities. I have always thought that he embodied the values of the "little guy."

Sherry is not famous, she has not set any records. She
has worked hard, very hard to get better. She is consistently humble, always giving credit to her family and therapists for her progress. She always says she needs to work harder. She knows just what she wants and we are going to get there. I have said it before, she is my hero. I will do anything to help her. She does not consider herself the "luckiest person on the face of the earth" by any means. However, I know exactly what she would say if she was pushed in front of a microphone at Yankee Stadium. " I am Sherry Ann Emert Jackson...and I am alive and moving forward!" She has handled herself with a grace that amazes me. She is not a wonderwoman, just a everyday girl who puts her head down and plows ahead everyday.

Just something to contemplate. Where are the Lou Gehrigs today? If you accept my premise that he stood for hard work, humility, integrity and honesty...where do you see that in today's popular culture? President Bush?? Mel Gibson?? Barry Bonds?? Rush Limbaugh?? Times are sure different, it's a shame.

Sorry for the rambling tonight, enough for now

I love my wife.....tomorrow we move forward,

Dean



No comments: