Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Vision Therapy 2

Well, today was quite a day. Our follow up consultation with Dr. Foley was scheduled for 10:00 a.m. I think we were all still a little apprehensive. Would Sherry be a good candidate for vision therapy or would her work with the prisms be the most that could be done for her at Foley Vision Center? As it turned out the appointment was a very positive experience. They have recommended that Sherry undergo 25 sessions of vision therapy to try to help her eyes work together, to help retrain the brain to recognize what it is she is seeing and various other things. The sessions are 40 minutes long once a week. Dr. Foley seems very impressed with Sherry's progress since coming home in February. She is optimistic that vision therapy along with all the other therapy Sherry is receiving can greatly improve her life. She does not discount the idea of Sherry being able to work again at some point. In fact she is very upbeat about the possibilities. She also prescribed glasses for Sherry, which made her very happy. Sherry has felt for a long time that she would benefit from glasses. She should get those sometime next week. She will continue to work with the prisms, especially during physical therapy.

After the appt. we went to DMV so that I could renew my Oregon ID card that had expired on my birthday last month. While I was there I talked the lady behind the counter into giving a me quick driver's eye exam. As most of you know, I have never been able to drive due to my own eye condition. Specialized contact lenses that we got in Boston several years have made a huge difference in my quality of life. At the time I got the lenses, I was 38 years old, had never had a license. The thought of actually trying to get one had rarely crossed my mind. I had always gotten along fine without one and besides, Sherry could drive. Well, now we find ourselves unable to get around on our own. It is very hard to have to rely on others for transportation all of the time. Well, I managed to pass the quick eye exam so I think I am finally ready to learn how to drive. If that little piece of news doesn't scare the bejesus out of those of you who know me I don't know what will :)

So, it was a very exciting, busy day. Sherry now has even more work ahead of her but we are so impressed with all of the therapists on "her team." We are all excited about the possibilities.

enough for now,

I love my wife.......tomorrow we move forward,



Dean

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT A GREAT DAY !!!
I am just hyped. Dancing around, clapping my hands... That is such great news.

Sherry, you better make the most progress early in that 25 weeks because I counted up and that would end right in the middle of tax season. Now how are you going to come help me out when you are still in therapy!

And Dean Driving!?? Oh my...

Love you all

Anonymous said...

Great News,

Sherry I am very excited for you, can't wait to hear how you are progressing in your new therapy!!
And Dean, driving, you can do it!! Let me know if you need some help.

Anonymous said...

Good evening Dean & Sherry, we tried leaving messages in the past, and I think that, finally, I really figured out how to do it.

We have read the various messages about Sherry's visits to the eye specialist, and are so very thankful that she just might recevie some great help and who know??!! She may even go back to work.

Now, you getting a driver's license??!! Well, who knows, perhaps that just might be possible too.

You are ever in our thoughts and prayers.

Hope you all have a great day