Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Vision therapy

A very busy day today. I was able to go with Sherry to her therapy sessions today and was so proud of her. She worked on time telling skills in speech therapy. She struggles with the concept of reading time, but made some progress today. I think it is just a matter of time (no pun intended) before she gets the hang of it again. In physical therapy she continued working on "path finding" skills, getting from one place to another, finding objects etc. She shows improvement everytime I see her. At home she is getting around much better also, no longer afraid to get up and explore or "run amuck" as she says. Lori (occupational therapist) wants us to get her working in the kitchen more, so that will begin to become more of a priority.

The big news of the day was Sherry's visit to Foley Vision Center for an evaluation. This was very late in the afternoon, after a hard day of work already. But Sherry was wonderful and had a great attitude that I think impressed the staff at the Center. The bottom line seems to be that Sherry does have functional vision to work with. She certainly has deficits, some field loss and other issues, but they think they may be able to work with her to help her "relearn" how to see. She will go back next week for further testing, using some lenses and prisms and being put through some "real life" situations. After that session, we will consult again with Dr. Foley to decide if a vision therapy program would be helpful. I can't help but think it will be. The things Dr. Foley was saying fall right in line with what we think is happening with Sherry. The Doctor kept using the phrase "this is very exciting." She also said that we will probably not get to 20/20, but that her life might be greatly improved. I left feeling very good about the appointment. Sherry did also although she realizes that this means even more work for her. If anyone can do it, she can. The Vision Center is going to work closely with Sherry's other therapists at Scared Heart and I am excited about the possible gains she could make in the near future. This may be the final piece of the puzzle we need to bring Sherry as far back as possible. There is still a long road ahead but I go to bed tonight feeling good about where we are.

enough for now,

I love my wife.....tomorrow we move forward,

Dean

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherry, All of your friends at the courthouse say Hi =) It is great to hear that you are doing so well!! Keep up the hard work and that awesome attitude that you have, you are truly an inspiration. I miss you more than words can say, you are in my thoughts and prayers always. Hope to see you soon =)
Miss Ya Lots,
Carmen

Anonymous said...

Sherry,
I am glad to hear that your vision therapy appt went so well. You work so hard and put all that you have into everything you do that I have no doubt this will be a positive step forward for you. With all of the hard work you do I am glad that I get to share in alot of the fun times, such as our lunches, dinners, b-day parties etc, because it is so great to see you having fun. Lets have some fun on Saturday and I will pick you and the family up and spend the afternoon at Brian and Amber's open house!!! Looking foward to seeing you then!! Keep up all of the great work.
And Dean, you are really something else with all that you do!!! Its equally as important for you to get out there and have fun, looking forward to seeing you then.
Kim